Legislative Efforts & Lobbyist Reports
Visit NAHU's Federal Action Center for more information on national legislative efforts.
Position Papers & Reference
VAHU Day on the Hill
NAHU Capitol Conference
VAHU's Legislative Mission Statement
VAHU will work with Commonwealth and federal policymakers and elected officials to ensure its members' continued ability to meet the health, financial, and retirement security needs of all Americans through education, advocacy, and professional development.
VAHU's Legislative Vision Statement
Every Virginian will have access to private sector solutions for health, financial, and retirement security, and to the continued services of insurance professionals.
VAHU's Legislative Strategic Plan
Conduct positive, focused campaigns on key issues:
- Health Care Costs/Health Care Transparency
- The Health Care "Crisis" in America
- The Role of the Agent
- Long-Term Care Partnerships
- Increase VAHU's input in regulatory matters.
- Increase VAHU's support of regulatory and legislative activities.
- Promote and educate members to achieve a "contribution culture" so that 30% of VAHU members participate in HUPAC.
- Participate in existing or build new coalitions with outside organizations to promote our vision.
- Engage in other public affairs goals and tasks on an ad hoc basis to promote ensure our vision.
VAHU's Legislative Operational Plan
- Ensure a past, current, and Legislative Chair-elect at the Commonwealth level as well as in each regional chapter.
- Develop first name basis relationships between at least one VAHU member, preferably a constituent, and every member of the General Assembly, the House, and the Senate, and with key staff personnel who work healthcare issues.
- Develop first name basis relationships between at least one VAHU member and key healthcare policymakers and support personnel in the Commonwealth and, in conjunction with NAHU, at the federal level.
- Earn a seat at the table on each and every healthcare-related forum in the Commonwealth and, in conjunction with NAHU, at the federal level, with the potential to affect our vision.
- Engage, empower, and energize the general membership to participate in the legislative and regulatory process to promote our vision.
- Educate, in conjunction with Association media personnel, the general public when the opportunities arise on our vision and the value we add to their lives.
VAHU's Legislative Implementation Plan
- Educate members through face-to-face meetings, Commonwealth-wide Operation Shouts, the VAHU website, and other media as appropriate.
- Educate, in conjunction with Association media personnel, the general public through other organizations, the news media, and in genteel encounters with our friends, neighbors, associates, and clients.
- Sponsor an annual legislative and regulatory reception in or near Richmond prior to the General Assembly Session, (re)introducing ourselves and our organization as a helpful, engaged resource.
- Help establish a Commonwealth Health Underwriters' Political Action Committee.
Recruit, train, and support future Legislative Chairs.